McDonald’s CEO and co-founder Steve Easterbrook on Monday called on Americans to stop supporting US franchises after the chain received a federal probe into its foreign labor practices.
“I think we’ve all learned a lesson in the last six months,” Easterbrook said at a breakfast meeting with the media at the company’s Irvine, California, headquarters.
“And that lesson is, it’s not right to be supporting these corporations.”
Easterbrook said McDonalds will continue to grow in the US, but he urged Americans to keep a close eye on the company.
“We want to be very careful that we’re going to be successful and not support these things that are wrong,” he said.
Easterby said McDonald’s is “disappointed” in the Justice Department’s investigation.
“This investigation has not made any difference in our decision-making, or in the decision- making of our shareholders,” he added.
The Justice Department investigation began last month after the company was found to be in violation of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA).
The investigation comes as McDonald’s struggles with a sharp decline in its foreign-language sales.
In a November 2017 report, the U.S. government accused McDonald’s of abusing workers in China to drive up its price for its products, and the company responded by raising prices and cutting jobs.
The McDonald’s investigation, the largest of its kind in U.K. history, focused on allegations of fraud and other illegal conduct, including allegations that the company had not paid the government in full for a $9.7 million settlement.
The probe was conducted by the U-S.
Justice Department, the Department of Labor and the Department and Labor under the supervision of the U.,N.
Commission on International Trade Enforcement.